Sue Plumb here with my latest design team project with you. Today I have a mixed media scrapbook layout to share that features a combination of Colour Spray, Colour Shimmer Spray, and Colour Paste. It also features a photo of my kids that I took at Easter time at school last year.
For this layout I decided to pull out some products that I hadn't used in a while - my sprays. (Since the Colour Artist Inks were released I have tended to use those more often as I like the brighter, more vibrant colours and they also tend to fit better with the techniques I use.) However, I didn't want my older supplies being totally neglected so I decided to re-visit them for this page.
I began by sticking a stencil over the top third of my page, masking off the areas that I din't want sprayed with the Colour Spray using scrap paper. (I always stick my stencils down with old washi tape, as it makes removal so much easier afterwards.) I started with a light spray of Lagoon, then added a little Saffron over the top.
Once I had applied a light covering, I carefully removed the stencil and allowed it to dry. You can see how I chose a stencil with a very "organic" pattern, and how when I masked off the top edge I did it with paper torn unevenly to avoid a straight edge along the top.
Next, I want to go for a completely different look in the bottom portion of the page. I selected some complimentary Colour Shimmer Sprays (Deep Water, Sunshine and Apple of My Eye) and applied the spray directly from the bottles using a brush. I added small amounts of colour along the bottom edge of the stencilled section of the page, holding the cardstock vertically and allowing the colour to run down the page.
I started with the Deep Water spray, then followed with Sunshine and Apple of My Eye. I allowed a short time for each colour to dry a little before moving onto the next one. I also tried to place the colours to limit the amount of blending that would occur, as I wanted each one to be visible. (You can see how they look once dry in the bottom photo below.)
With all my "runs" in place, it was time to work on the line where they met the stencilled pattern above on the page. I wanted to add a little texture, and also define the focal point for my layout, so I chose a stencil so I could apply a single floral line. Just like the sprays I had used, I also wanted a combination of colours so I chose Sunshine, Singin' the Blues and Apple of My Eye Colour Pastes.
I used a narrow palette knife and started with the Sunshine paste, applying it to the stencil without covering it completely. I then added the Apple of My Eye and Singin' the Blues pastes, filling in the gaps I had left and overlapping the colours.
The result was a gorgeous mix that showcased all three colours within the stencilled design, and blended perfectly with the sprays I had already applied to the page. I then left the paste to dry.
Once dry, I was happy with my background and set about creating the structure of my page. Again I did some stash-busting and used some older supplies (this time some scraps of a Jillibean Soup collection from long ago) that matched perfectly with my colour palette.
I added a torn strip of paper along the focal line of my page, as well as a couple of strips along the top edge of my page. I then used various pieces of paper, along with coordinating die cuts and stickers to create layers under and around my photo.
Next, I fussy cut a number of butterflies from one of the patterned papers, which I adhered along the paint runs in the bottom section of the page. I stuck each butterfly by the middle section only, allowing me to bend up the wings away from the page to give it dimension.
To help balance out all the butterflies in the bottom section of my page, I also added a small embellishment cluster near the top edge of my layout.